March 25, 2008

South Dakota farm fun

This past weekend I went home for Easter and I can always find new and different things to take pictures of. Lately I am fascinated with old stuff and abandon farms. I really want to do a series on abandon farms, I don't know what it is, but there is kinda a sense of mystery and creepiness to them that makes my photo brain go nutty. You should see me though, I get so freaked out! Every little noise makes me think the girl from The Ring is going to come walking out of the house and attack me. Maybe that is just the girl in me, but if anyone wants to come along with me next time, ya'll are welcome to come along so we both can get scared. I am sure the old farmers just love driving by and seeing me in my dads old beat up F-150, with my shootsac in tow, taking pics of rusty, old stuff. I wonder what goes through their heads. I bet its funny thoughts :) I also walked around the farm during milking and got a few other random pictures. I love having the privilege to come home to such a wonderful, peaceful place. I feel so lucky to have grown up on a farm, it's awesome!










which cow do you think feels out of place here?? 

This is another random picture of the ladder that takes you to the top of the silo (a silo is where the feed is stored for the cows, in case you didn't know). I used to climb to the top of this a lot in my younger days to sit up there and get away from everything. It was actually quite peaceful, but if you are afraid of heights, i wouldn't recommend this as a way to have some quiet time :)



2 comments:

J.Stoia Portrait Design said...

I will go farm hunting/scary abandoned house hunting with you! We will both freak ourselves out!! I am in love with the colors and textures from this post. I have always told you that you need to show more of this work. You are really good at it. Thanks for the shout out! I do love my old school door nobs..keyholes..antique keys. I still can't believe you milk cows hahaha!

OHANA PHOTOGRAPHERS said...

love all the rusty stuff! and that last pic is killer! looks like going into some kinda of willy wonka ride or something :O)